RV Travel vs Air Travel: What’s Right for You?
RV travel vs air travel: For a long time, it didn’t seem like much of a debate. With the pandemic, though, people started to see the benefits of RV rentals and traveling by road. Over the past few years, people have spent tons of time in motorhome rentals, exploring the country and gaining unique experiences.
Between RV travel and air travel, both have their pros and cons. So, what are they? In the RV travel vs air travel debate, why do people land on the side of motorhomes?
Let’s take a look!
The Benefits of RV Travel
RV travel is a great way to see the country, meet new people, and explore new areas. Here are some of the main reasons people love to travel via motorhome!
- You get to see the countryside on the ground level.
- RV rentals come with private beds to sleep in.
- You have the option to eat outside (weather permitting).
- Motorhomes have WAY more legroom.
- There’s no reason to stand in line, unless you have to wait for hookups at a campsite.
- You don’t have to go through security or endure a full body scan.
- When you wake up, you’re near lakes, forests, mountains, beaches, or wherever you decide to go.
- You don’t have to worry about airline food and can actually cook for yourself.
- Don’t like your neighbors? Pick up and move to a new spot.
- Motorhomes don’t have weird limitations on liquids.
- In an RV, you don’t have to hold your pet in a cargo area.
- You have your choice of entertainment instead of inflight movies.
- There are plenty of opportunities to make S’mores around a campfire.
- You don’t have to worry about landing in your destination and finding a ride.
- If you have a chatty seatmate, you can move to a different area or be candid with them.
- The air isn’t canned or recycled.
- RV rental vs air travel: No need to worry about oxygen masks (unless you need one for sleep apnea).
- The only crying children in your RV rental are the ones you bring with you (hopefully).
- There’s no need to worry about baggage claim or hauling luggage all over the place.
- Acrophobics never have to worry about heights in a motorhome rental.
The Benefits of Air Travel
When it comes to RV travel vs air travel, the benefits of planes are probably pretty clear. How do they stack up to motorhome rentals, though?
- On a plane, you don’t have to do any dishes.
- Typically, you get to your destination much faster.
- Your ticket price is fixed while your gas budget isn’t.
Clearly, we have a bit of a bias. While there are many great reasons to fly, it comes with a lot of disadvantages as well. From flight delays to hidden fees and lost baggage, there are some significant downsides.
On average (and depending on your destination), plane tickets cost a few hundred dollars. This quickly becomes costly when you have to travel with your family. Moreover, you need to find a way to your destination once you land and consider a variety of other costs.
When it comes to RV travel vs air travel, there’s no concrete guarantee about saving money. However, there’s more flexibility for frugality with a motorhome rental.
RV Travel vs Air Travel: Ready to Hit the Road?
If you haven’t tried RV travel before, a rental is a great way to taste test the lifestyle. Even when you don’t save a cent, there’s nothing quite like the experience of the open road. It might just be time to close out that airfare comparison tab and look at a few of the cleanest RV rentals Houston has to offer!